All set to Lose Your Glasses? 10 tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest evolving fields of medication. Never before have many brand-new methods and clinical advancements emerged in such a short amount of time. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, provides countless individuals the opportunity to reduce or eliminate their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio advertisements are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgery as the fast and painless way to correct vision, but stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Before you opt to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to help ensure that you will more than happy with your results?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an informed patient. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a medical professional by getting recommendations from other medical professionals or from clients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be deceived by expensive advertisements about a specific laser. Choose the doctor, not the laser. Learn who will in fact do your treatment, then ask about that physician's certifications (e.g., board certification, special training).
3. Select a doctor who has actually done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. Exactly what a physician doesn't understand can harm you.
4. Request information on your physician's LASIK eye surgical treatment problem rates. Find another one if your doctor won't inform you. For top cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask exactly what measures are taken to prevent infection. Firmly insist that your eye is completely decontaminated, Look At This and insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized prior to your eye laser surgery to remove the danger of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Beware of ads pressing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgical treatment is as good as a discount parachute.
7. Anticipate to see extremely well after LASIK, but don't expect to see perfectly. Each patient gets a slightly different result. The best surgeon on the planet cannot ensure 20/20 vision. useful link Similar to any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as specific as each patient. Beware of any doctor who promises 20/20 vision.
8. If you seem like you're getting a tough sell, you most likely are. Go somewhere else. You're not buying a automobile; this is genuine LASIK eye surgery.
9. If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely offer much better vision than LASIK. Think about waiting up until the new lenses are offered. Ask your medical professional about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, don't lose sight of the advantages: for the majority of people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has enhanced the vision of millions of individuals around the globe.